Tips for setting up the perfect Google+ profile
Goggle+ is not a social media site that you can sign up to but not do anything with your profile. Your profile is your internet representation of you; if people search your name on the internet this is what they’ll see, so in order for them to know it’s you there has to be some information.
- In order to get started building up your Google+ profile you first need to get yourself to the right page, http://plus.google.com. Once you’ve registered you should click on the ‘Profile’ button to the left of your screen.
- Now you’re there click on Edit Profile and then choose any of the sections to fill out.
- Now it’s time to choose a profile picture. Hover over the blank photo and ‘Change profile photo’ will appear; click this and then choose one from your library – you might want to read our previous post ‘Guidelines to choosing the right profile picture for social media sites’ to make sure you get it right.
- It sounds stupid, but make sure the name that you display is your own name – you aren’t allowed to use a business name – you should also make sure you’ve filled in the ‘Headline’ section of your profile. This should describe you in a few short words; it can say whatever you like but make sure it’s memorable.
- You’ll see that there are loads of sections that need to be filled out and although none of them are compulsory it’s usually better to fill as many in as you can – especially as a professional. These sections will make you searchable; if there’s nothing in them then people won’t be able to identify you.
- The employment section is one of the most important; by telling people what you do and where you work they can decide whether or not they want you in their circles. This employment section is displayed on your hovercard which appears if you hover over the name of a person who is not in any of your circles; the information on this card will tell you whether or not you should connect with them.
- You should make it easy for people to be able to find you online without having to search. You can add links to your Google+ profile that will tell people exactly where they can find you, if you have a blog, business or other social profiles then you can link all of this to your Google+ profile.
- Search visibility is something you have to decide on. Your choice basically depends on whether or not you want your profile to be visible in search engine results. If you’re a professional then the answer should definitely be yes! However, some people are a little wary of information being spread across the internet so they’d rather keep themselves private. If you want to change your profile visibility then you should go to settings (at the bottom of the page) and then some options will appear on your left;
when this happens select Profile and Privacy. Once this has been selected you can ‘Edit visibility on profile’ where you can choose who you want to be able to see anything that is n your profile.
- Finally, you have to make the decision between a private and public profile. Here you can decide exactly who you want to be able to see what information. For example if you have private contact details such as your phone number or email address on there than you can easily adjust your profile so that these things are only visible to certain circles like Family.
Now you’re done! Just press the Done Editing button and you’re away.